Garden wall extending southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202752
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1993
Date of most recent amendment:
05-Sep-2013
Location Description:
Garden wall extending for about 25m southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel.
Statutory Address:
GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST CORNER OF THE TALBOT HOTEL, YORKERSGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Garden wall extending southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:37:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
GARDEN WALL ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST CORNER OF THE TALBOT HOTEL, YORKERSGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Location Description:
Garden wall extending for about 25m southwards from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel.
County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Malton
National Grid Reference:
SE7850271550

Summary

Early C19 garden wall reusing earlier, possibly C17 bricks, mirroring the design of an adjacent C17 wall.

Reasons for Designation

The early C19 garden wall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Garden design: preserving the approximate line of a boundary forming part of the C17 garden design for York House, as well as demonstrating an early C19 modification of that garden, reusing earlier bricks; * Group Value: particularly with the Grade II* listed York House with which the wall contributes in terms of setting, mirroring the design of its eastern boundary wall.

History

The garden wall is thought to have been built after Burton's 1809 estate map but before Nicholson's 1823 engraving to form the eastern garden wall of the newly constructed villa called The Cloisters. This villa is thought to have been built for the manager of the Talbot Hotel (of which it is now a part - see NHLE 1202751). The wall subdivided the gardens of York House (see NHLE 1290865) first laid out for Sir William Strickland in the late C17 and was designed to sympathetically match York House's eastern garden wall (see NHLE 1220709). The wall appears to be on approximately the same line as an earlier boundary shown on the 1730 Dickinson map, possibly the boundary to 43 Yorkersgate when this was a separate property in the C17.

Details

Garden wall, early C19.

MATERIALS Reused C17 orange-red brick that is irregularly bonded. Flat stone coping.

DESCRIPTION The wall is generally 2-3m high and runs south from the south east corner of the Talbot Hotel (that part formally forming the house The Cloisters) for about 25m. It has pilaster buttresses on its west side and the wall top is ramped as it climbs over the top terrace to the rear of York House (q.v.).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
389621
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Colin Briden, The Talbot Hotel Malton North Yorkhire: An assessment of the gardens, 2011,
Peter Goodchild, Some Historical Notes on York House, Malton, and its Garden and Grounds, 2011,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03465/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].