BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES NORTH OF DAMAGE BARTON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1202938
Date first listed:
15-Jun-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES NORTH OF DAMAGE BARTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES NORTH OF DAMAGE BARTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202938 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 16:24:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES NORTH OF DAMAGE BARTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 47285 45673

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS44NE Barn approximately 40 metres north 853-1/1/3 of Damage Barton 15/06/51 (Formerly Listed as: LEE Damage Barton including ancillary buildings and courtyard wall)

GV II*

Integral barn. Dated 1656. Slate rubble with some brick dressings; Welsh slate roof. Roughly central cart doorway with weathering over; to left a small wooden mullioned window lights the newel stair (see below); smaller vehicular entry to left and two tiers of pigeon holes above. To right, ground-floor openings with brick arches and, above the doorway, a datestone giving the initials 'IEC, 1656'. Two louvred openings to upper floor. Rear has original ovolo-moulded doorway surround to opposing cart entrance and its planked and ledge double doors -a remarkable survival. Internal stone newel or vice, again a rare feature, gives into upper floor from cart entrance. Roof principals halved at apex.

Listing NGR: SS4728545673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390126
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06555/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].