SOUTH PIER INCLUDING FORMER BARKING OVEN, TORQUAY HARBOUR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202955
Date first listed:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
SOUTH PIER INCLUDING FORMER BARKING OVEN, TORQUAY HARBOUR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH PIER INCLUDING FORMER BARKING OVEN, TORQUAY HARBOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 06:28:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH PIER INCLUDING FORMER BARKING OVEN, TORQUAY HARBOUR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91777 63273

Details

TORQUAY

SX9063 (East side) 885-1/17/481 South Pier, Torquay Harbour

GV II

South Pier. Part of the harbour improvements carried out 1803-1806 for Sir Lawrence Palk initially to the designs of Rennie but completed under the direction of Dr Henry Beake, a national authority on financial matters (Pevsner). Local grey limestone rubble. The South Pier projects east from Victoria Parade. HISTORY: Russell quotes from Beake's correspondence with the Palk solicitor, in which he was critical of Rennie's design and work: "badly planned, shamefully executed, with no proper super-intendence and no regard to the expense; but with great possible care to make it as neat as possible to the eye with a useless waste of labour". (Percy Russell: A History of Torquay: Torquay: 1960-: 74-77; The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1989-: 854).

Listing NGR: SX9177763273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390452
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 854
Russell, P, A History of Torquay, (1960), 74-77

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11858/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].