GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1202992
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1993
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1202992 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 10:09:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS TO SOUTH WEST OF CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Crewkerne
National Grid Reference:
ST 43943 09780

Details

CREWKERNE

ST4309 CHURCH STREET 876-1/6/51 (North side) Group of 3 chest tombs to SW of Church of St Bartholomew

GV II

Group of 3 chest tombs. All early C19. First, approx 6m to south-south-west of the south porch. Very shallow hipped top with cyma-moulding to edge and to plinth; fluted pilasters with convex lower part; one recessed panel each side; worn inscriptions. Second, approx 7m to south-west of south porch. Hipped top with cyma moulding to edge and to plinth; raised-and-fielded panels to long sides with pilasters; recessed panel to ends. Worn inscriptionss, illegible to ends, but Marsh, and 1811 and 1827 are visible on the sides. Third, approx 20m to south-west of south front. Hipped top with cyma moulded edge;one raised-and-fielded panel to each side; fluted pilasters with convex lower part to long sides; worn inscriptions, but Henry Higgins, 1809, and 1861 can be read.

Listing NGR: ST4394309780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390326
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15393/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Green. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].