146, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203035
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
146, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 146, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203035.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 13:49:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
146, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Ilfracombe
National Grid Reference:
SS 51945 47658

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 HIGH STREET 853-1/6/82 (South side) No.146

II

House and shop. Probably built in 1890s. MATERIALS: rendered front. Solid right-hand side-wall visible from alley, covered with slate-hanging slated mansard roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with garret. 1-window wide. Good shopfront; display windows with angle-shafts supporting decorated brackets. Recessed shop door in centre; shell-carved, open pediment above. To right of shopfront a panel of blue and white tiles inscribed W H ANDREW PURVEYOR & FAMILY BUTCHER ESTD. 1855. Deep wood canopy on shaped brackets above whole ground storey. Second and third storeys have wooden, canted bay window in centre, finished in each storey with a bracketed cornice having quatrefoils between the brackets. Panelled base to second-storey window; slated pent roof to window in third storey. Sash windows with panels of coloured glass above them; upper sashes have glazing bars forming margin-panes. Dentilled top cornice broken by large, 2-light dormer window with flat top; this has sashes with one upright glazing bar per sash. To right, set back and spanning the alley, is a rendered structure containing a 12-light sash window. INTERIOR not inspected. The building forms a group with Nos 145 (The Victoria) & No.147 (qv). WH Andrew, butcher, appears at this address (then 130 High Street) in Kelly's Directory of Devonshire between 1883 & 1906, but not in 1910. (Kelly's Directory of Devonshire: 1883-1906).

Listing NGR: SS5194547658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390221
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Devonshire, (1883)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].