GATEHOUSE AND LODGES TO PENNSYLVANIA CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203078
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE AND LODGES TO PENNSYLVANIA CASTLE, CHURCH OPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATEHOUSE AND LODGES TO PENNSYLVANIA CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203078 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 13:05:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEHOUSE AND LODGES TO PENNSYLVANIA CASTLE, CHURCH OPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69610 71241

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 CHURCH OPE ROAD, Easton 969-1/4/31 (South side) 16/01/51 Gatehouse and Lodges to Pennsylvania Castle (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH OPE ROAD Entrance Gateway to Pennsylvania Castle) (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH OPE ROAD Lodge to Pennsylvania Castle)

GV II

Gateway with associated but separated lodges. c 1800. For John Penn, possibly by James Wyatt who designed the main Castle building (qv). Squared and coursed stone, slate roofs. The gateway is a wide 4-centred arch with plain chamfer in stepped crenellated walling; centre section c 4.5m high has moulded cornice; sides, slightly stepped back, c 3m high extend 1.5m each side. Arch jambs rebated, with rusted remains of former hinges; no gates now hung. Approx.15m to the south a small single-storey structure in large squared Portland block to crenellated parapet, sunk at centre over pointed plank door flanked by 2 small lancet slits each side. Wall conceals two small lodge rooms with raking rubble side walls and inverted hip roofs either side of the throughway. These lodges are now separated in ownership from the Castle.

Listing NGR: SY6961071241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04605/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].