THE CITADEL, SOUTH ENTRANCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1203116
Date first listed:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, SOUTH ENTRANCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CITADEL, SOUTH ENTRANCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 12:49:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, SOUTH ENTRANCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69333 73418

Details

PORTLAND

SY6873 THE CITADEL, The Verne 969-1/3/173 (North side) The Citadel, South Entrance

GV II*

Gatehouse to citadel, now prison. Dated 1881, possibly from office of Capt. E Crossman RE, general designer of The Citadel.Portland ashlar. Long narrow entrance corridor has at S end a round arch over main plank doors, with heavy rusticated quoins and voussoirs beneath carved panel with VR 1881 to heavy roll-moulded gable and flat parapet top. Arch approached over C20 concrete bridge to large landing on very deep substructure; this has heavy rock-faced masonry to S with deep and lofty blind arch, returning left to plain wall and parapet above heavy roll mould which continuies on three sides at this level. Right return has plain walling with various slits and openings dropping into deep ditch. The left return of the main building continues c 100m in plain ashlar to roll-mould top, with various segmental-headed openings. The whole is roofed in turf, and runs back to the SW casemates (qv). Very dramatically set above the S and SE Ditches.

Listing NGR: SY6933373418

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382027
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].