This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COUNTY BRANCH LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COUNTY BRANCH LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1203146

Location

COUNTY BRANCH LIBRARY, BARRAS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Liskeard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382117

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

979-1/5/24 15-NOV-93

LISKEARD

BARRAS STREET (East side) County Branch Library

II

A free library built in 1896 by Symons and Sons, of Blackwater for John Passmore Edwards. The building was dedicated to Charles Buller who represented Liskeard in parliament between 1832 and 1848. Flemish Renaissance style, 2 storeyed building with a symmetrical 7-bay front and Delabole slate roof with moulded eaves. Three coped gables with ball finials to the front with alternate plain and crested clay ridge tiles, metal roof ventilators and brick gable end stacks. An irregular L-shaped plan with 2 linked wings at right-angles behind the left-hand side. Central gabled bay broken forward and alternate bays broken forward to 1st floor and surmounted by ventilated gables. Central bay has round-headed doorway with rusticated voussoirs flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters and with acanthus and scrolled apron to inscribed panel framed above by stepped moulded string which runs the full width of the front; over this is a 5-light mullioned oriel window with double transoms and flat heads over 2 centres except for central ogee-headed light; moulded embattled false parapet over with 2 ball finials and carved enrichments to a torus moulding. Buller Memorial dated 1886 to gable over. Other bays have similarly-detailed windows with principal windows as oriels with hoodmoulds with carved stops; 3-light windows to principal bays flanking single lights; double transoms to oriels, otherwise single transoms, all with plate glass. A prominent item in the streetscape, close to Stuart House (qv). INTERIOR altered C20.

Sources: West Briton 5th November 1896.

Listing NGR: SX2511264517

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX2511264517

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203146 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 06:27:27.

End of official listing