Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1203286

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1987



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203286 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:41:59.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Woodford cum Membris

National Grid Reference: SP 54312 52881


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS WOODFORD HALSE SP5452 18/154 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 18/01/68 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary) GV II* Church. C13-C15, restored 1878 when the tower was rebuilt and enlarged and a new vestry and organ chamber added. Coursed squared ironstone and coursed ironstone rubble, tile roof to nave and chancel, rest lead. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. 3-bay chancel with east window of three lights and cusped intersecting tracery flanked by buttresses. A 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular south-west window with limestone moulded surround and tracery, a double-chamfered priests door to right, other windows of 2 lights with cusped Y-tracery. C19 vestry and organ chamber to north-west. North and south walls show signs of re-building. Nave has 4-window clerestory with 2-light straight-headed Perpendicular windows except for 1-light north-west window and simple 2-light window to left recessed in rectangular frame. 3-window aisles. North aisle with 2-light windows with cusped Y-tracery and chamfered pointed arch of blocked north door; south aisle has 2-light straight-headed windows. Both aisles have single lancet west windows. Gabled south porch with double-chamfered door; tile roof. South door has moulded arch, hood mould with label stops. 3-stage west tower has diagonal west buttresses, moulded west door and west window of 2-lights with cusped Y-tracery. Belfry stage has 2-light windows with foiled Y-tracery. North and south aisles have plain parapets, the west tower battlemented parapet. Single storey lean-to store with tile roof to north-east corner of tower. Interior: C19 stained glass east and south-east chancel windows, cusped arch-headed piscina, raised sanctuary with encaustic tile roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner order with polygonal responds. 4-bay nave arcade: north arcade of C13 with chamfered arches and circular piers and octagonal abaci, westernmost pillar with multi-scalloped capital. South arcade has double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers. Other C19/C20 stained glass windows in tower and aisle windows. Squint between south aisle and chancel. Font with octagonal bowl possibly of 1660's (Pevsner). C19 roofs. C19 (Pevsner). C19 roofs. C19 pews in nave and chancel have some medieval elements. Early C14 effigy of a Lady, brass of c.1400, wall monument to Mrs Knightley died 1730 (Buildings of England: Northants, p.468, Kellys Northants, 1903).

Listing NGR: SP5431252881


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360644

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 468
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1903)

End of official listing