This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WESTERN BUILDING TO CHESTERFIELD COLLEGE OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WESTERN BUILDING TO CHESTERFIELD COLLEGE OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY

List entry Number: 1203317

Location

WESTERN BUILDING TO CHESTERFIELD COLLEGE OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY, SHEFFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 83467

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEFFIELD ROAD 1. 5169 (East Side) Western building to Chesterfield College of Art and Technology SK 3871 NW 5/171

II GV

2. 1846 with later C19 additions. Formerly Chesterfield Grammar School. A school in Chesterfield first recorded in the C13. Letters patent from Elizabeth I in 1598 speak of the Chapel of St Helen's being converted to a schoolroom (site to east of present building). School rebuilt 1709 and again in 1846. Coursed stone with quoins and moulded band at 1st floor. Fishscale and plain tile banded roof. Coped gables with kneelers, some with finials. Roofs with cresting and stone chimneys. Northern part triple gabled and of 3 storeys is oldest part. 3 windows with stone mullions, tground floor with transoms also. Centre door. Adjoining centre section advanced. 2 gables with tower in angle between these. 2 storeys. Gothic arched doorway below tower, shield and date above. Southern recessed part, centre gable 2 storeys, 3 windows. Famous pupils include, in early C18, Thomas Secker later Archbishop of Canterbury and later, Erasmus Darwin, Grandfather of Charles Darwin. VCH Vol II p 223.

Listing NGR: SK3834971674

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Derby, (1905), 223

National Grid Reference: SK 38349 71674

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203317 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 12:01:56.

End of official listing