CROSS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203402

Date first listed: 26-May-1987

Statutory Address: CROSS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROSS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 03:52:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CROSS APPROXIMATELY 9 METRES SOUTH OF NAVE OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Clyst Honiton

National Grid Reference: SX 98929 93509

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 99 SE CLYST HONITON CLYST HONITON

2/26 Cross approximately 9 - metres south of nave of Church of St Michael

GV II

Churchyard cross. Erected 1881 using a probably C15 shaft. Granite. The cross stands a little over 3m high. The medieval shaft is square in section at the bottom with chamfered edges with roll stops and it tapers slightly towards the top. The 1881 head makes it a plain Latin cross. The socket stone has a chamfered top edge and is inscribed. It records that the cross was restored in 1881 in memory of Abraham and Jane Smith of Treasbeare. The plinth is made up of 3 octagonal steps, the middle riser bearing a Biblical quotation. The shaft was apparently used as a seat at Treasbeare before the restoration of the cross here. Source. Devon SMR

Listing NGR: SX9892993509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352348

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing