This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LYCHGATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALLS TO ALL SAINTS CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LYCHGATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALLS TO ALL SAINTS CHURCH

List entry Number: 1203525

Location

LYCHGATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALLS TO ALL SAINTS CHURCH, SHARDLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aston upon Trent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 82990

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 42 NW PARISH OF ASTON-UPON-TRENT SHARDLOW ROAD 4/5 (west Side) Lychgate and Attached 10.11.67 Churchyard Walls to All Saints Church GV II Lychgate and attached walls. c1916, Dec style lychgate and C19 walls. Ashlar and timber with steeply pitched graduated stone slate, half hipped roof, plus ornately carved bargeboards and pendants. Lychgate has stone plinth with four large octagonal timber corner posts, each with a frieze of blind quatrefoils to top, supporting large moulded brackets for the eaves. To the centre there are three moulded four-centred arches, with pierced spandrels, supporting the roof, which are in turn supported by piers resting on the plinth, each of which has a small attached nookshaft actually carrying the arch. The outer edges of the plinths have stone walls on, creating a bench-like arrangement. These carry an arcade of four-centred arches with pierced quatrefoils over. There are similar arches and quatrefoils between the corner piers and those supporting the roof. The central tie beam has inscribed on it 'In memory of James Shuttleworth Holden, Rector 1869-1916. Erected by his friends and parishioners'. Above there is a simple collared roof and in each gable there is a pierced timber screen. Attached to either side there are random rubble walls which enclose the churchyard.

Listing NGR: SK4149729391

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 41497 29391

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 04:42:29.

End of official listing