BLACK BULL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203574
Date first listed:
23-Feb-1954
Statutory Address:
BLACK BULL HOUSE, 147, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
BLACK BULL HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACK BULL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 10:43:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACK BULL HOUSE, 147, CHURCH STREET
Statutory Address:
BLACK BULL HOUSE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Whitby
National Grid Reference:
NZ 90002 11177

Details

1. 1811 CHURCH STREET (West Side)

No 147 (Black Bull House) NZ 8911 1/98 23.2.54.

II GV

2. Includes Black Bull House, Markot Place. Bears plaque inscribed H. (over) G.E. 1704, but this is probably when the house was remodelled. Rendered. 3 storey front to Church Street, the top being a sharp pointed gable with 2-light stone mullioned window. Wide 3-light sash to 1st floor. Modern window replaces Cl9 shop front on ground floor. Cl8 door with rectangular fanlight. Pantile roof. Market Place elevation of 2 storeys, upper jettied, has C19 sash windows with wood mullions. Interior has been much modernised with new iron staircase. NMR.

Nos 119 to 123A (consec), Board Inn, Nos 126 to 135 (consec), Nos 137 to 151 (consec) and Nos 153 to 157 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: NZ9000211177

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326669
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03647/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].