This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NOS. 1-5 FRANCES DARLINGTON COURT WITH CHAPEL AND WASH HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NOS. 1-5 FRANCES DARLINGTON COURT WITH CHAPEL AND WASH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1203632

Location

1-5, FRANCES DARLINGTON COURT, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Charnock Richard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE 5/19

CHARNOCK RICHARD, CHURCH LANE, Frances Darlington Court, Nos. 1-5 with chapel and wash house

(Formerly listed as Nos. 119 to 127 (odd nos.) with chapel and washhouse (The Frances Darlington Trust))

26.11.1975

GV II

Almshouses, dated 1898, comprising 3 blocks of building and linking screen walls: a row of 4 almshouses under one roof, a matron's house incorporating a chapel, and between these a block of washhouses. All of coursed squared sandstone, in Gothic style, with steeply-pitched and hipped roofs of hexagonal slates (fleur-de-lys finials to gable copings) and octagonal chimneys with moulded caps. All of one storey. The row of almshouses is symmetrical, has a tall gable in the centre (with a decorated tablet), 4 low gabled porches (one at each end and 2 flanking the centre), and 6 stone mullioned windows. At the left end is a screen wall with a gabled arched doorway flanked by arched window openings, which links with a matching but simpler block of 4 washhouses, which is similarly linked to the matron's house. This incorporates as a crosswing at its left end a chapel with a tall gable terminating in a bellcote (with bell); there is one rectangular window with 3 cusped lights and a hoodmould in each gable of the chapel, above these a stone tablet lettered "THE FRANCES DARLINGTON CHARITY". Interior of chapel: glazed tiled walls, stained glass windows, and marble memorial tablet to Frances Darlington (d. 1897) which states, inter alia, that she laid the foundation stone of the church (Christ Church, q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5555715690

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 55557 15690

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 04:23:18.

End of official listing