This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TAN HOUSE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TAN HOUSE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1203660

Location

TAN HOUSE FARMHOUSE, PRESTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Charnock Richard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Feb-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE CHARNOCK RICHARD PRESTON ROAD

5/23 Tan House Farmhouse 17.4.1967 (Formerly listed under Delph Lane) - II

Farmhouse comprised of 2 interconnected dwellings built at right-angles, the later dated 1695. Brick and some stone, with stone plinth, some stone quoins, roofs of stone slates and slates. The earlier element, of 2 bays and 2 storeys with a continuous outshut to rear, contains either parts or the whole of 2 cruck trusses; the later (1695) which is built as a receding crosswing on the right, is 3 bays and 2½ storeys, with a 2-storey rear wing to the 3rd bay. The first part, which faces the road, has a high stone plinth broken by 2 large C19 casements,a board door at the right end, one 1st floor window to the 2nd bay, a raised front wall and slated roof with chimney at right end; at the left gable is a large external stone chimney stack, stepped to eaves level and continued in C19 brick, with a flat floor window to the left of it; rear has some stone slates, slated outshut with stone quoins and 2 windows (one a 3 light sliding sash with glazing bars). The front gable of the later building is flush with the first; this part has a stone plinth, stone quoins to all corners, roof of stone slates with a cut down chimney at the rear gable; its front wall has 3-light chamfered stone mullion windows at ground and at 1st floor 2 lights at attic level, all with saw-tooth labels; under the attic window is a datestone lettered in relief F R . E. 1695 The side wall has 3 windows on each floor all altered casements, with remains of segmental relieving arch to 3rd window at 1st floor; and entrance at junction of 1st and 2nd bays. Interior: older part contains 2 cruck trusses, which may be full or raised crucks; later part has beams chamfered at ground floor, rounded at 1st floor.

Listing NGR: SD5538416812

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 55384 16812

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 12:12:28.

End of official listing