WINGHAM COURT AND GARDEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1203692

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: WINGHAM COURT AND GARDEN WALL, CANTERBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WINGHAM COURT AND GARDEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:38:58.

Location

Statutory Address: WINGHAM COURT AND GARDEN WALL, CANTERBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Dover (District Authority)

Parish: Wingham

National Grid Reference: TR 24178 57411

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 2457 WINGHAM CANTERBURY ROAD

(south side) 9/342 Wingham Court and Garden Wall. 13.10.52 GV II*

House. C15, extended 1574, and reclad early C18 and early C19. Timber framed and clad with red brick and rendered to entrance elevation. Plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth with boxed eaves to roof with hip to left end, and shaped gable to right, with iron wall ties initialled W:C; projecting stack at end right, and cluster to centre left. Four glazing-bar sashes on first, and 2 tripartite and one single glazing-bar sashes on ground floor. Door of 8 panels to centre left in panelled surround with pediment on engaged Doric columns. Projectiong rear wings to main range also with shaped gables. Extended to left by framed building with painted brick infill, one storey and attic with 3 hipped dormers and stack to rear right. One canted bay with glazing-bar sashes, and one bay to right with large tripartite glazing bar sash. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels, the top 2 glazed, with flat hood on brackets. Wall to right C18, of red brick, swept down twice to about 5 feet and buttressed, and returned to east and south along road front for about 50 yards, terminated by pier with ball finial. Interior: main range originally four framed bays with central left cross-passage. Crown-post roof. Well within south wing. Attached single-storey range with stack dated 1574. Panelled interiors. The house was the manor house of the Archbishop's manor of Wingham, and here they and the great of the time were frequent residents. (B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 500; A. Hussey, Chronicles of Wingham, 1896; Dr.

Listing NGR: TR2417857411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 178374

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hussey, A, Chronicles of Wingham, (1896)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 500

End of official listing