Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203713

Date first listed: 26-May-1987

Statutory Address: LIONS FARMHOUSE


Ordnance survey map of LIONS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203713 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 15:57:14.


Statutory Address: LIONS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Rockbeare

National Grid Reference: SY 02556 94497


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/101 Lions Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. C17 and date plaque of 1696, modernised and enlarged in late C19. The walls are plastered and the materials unknown but the original section is probably cob on rubble footings whilst the extensions are brick or stone rubble; one of the stacks maybe cob, another is late C17 brick and the extension has a late C19 brick kitchen stack; slate roof. The main block has a 2-room plan with central cross passage and faces east. The left (southern) room has an end stack and the right room has a projecting end stack. The rear blocks are under parallel roofs at right angles to the main range appear to be late C19 and include contemporary stair and kitchen. 2 storeys. Symmetrical main front has 2 ground floor and 4 first floor windows. All are similar late C19 casements and those on the first floor are half dormers with gabled roofs. Contemporary part-glazed and panelled front door with slate-roofed monopitch hood on curving brackets is set a little right of centre. The main roof is gable- ended. These gables and those of the half dormers have similar wavy-shaped barge boards. The right end stack has weathered offsets and the original chimney shaft contains a limestone plaque inscribed TRA 1696. The shaft has been extended with late C19 brick. Interior is largely the result of the late C19 refurbishment although much of the C17 fabric remains in the front block. The axial beam across the right room and cross passage is boxed in but that in the left room is soffit-chamfered with exaggerated scroll stops. Both fireplaces are blocked. The roof was not examined since the extension of the right and chimney shaft suggests that the roof was replaced at a higher level in the late C19.

Listing NGR: SY0255694497


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352423

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing