10, GILESGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203731
Date first listed:
18-May-1976
Statutory Address:
10, GILESGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 10, GILESGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203731 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 18:34:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
10, GILESGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hexham
National Grid Reference:
NY9342264263

Details

NY 9364 1/233 5334

GILESGATE (South West Side) No 10

GV II

Circa 1761 with later facelift. 3 storeys and basement. 6 unevenly spaced windows. Brick with stone quoins, eaves course, plinth and arched entrance to rear yard (No 8A). C19 stone architraves to windows and columned, arched entrance to house. Slate roof slightly tented, small kneeler to left. Brick chimneys. Plate glass sash windows. Main entrance has semi circular canopy on Doric columns and 5 panel door. Stone built at rear with 2 storey brick extension. Tall semi-circular headed staircase window. Sun Fire Insurance Mark in centre of front, below 2nd floor. No 184544, policy dated 7.ix.1761 taken out by the Rev. William Totton, Rector of Hexham.

Hexham House, together with Nos 2 to 10 (even) and the wall to the Bowling Green form a group.

Listing NGR: NY9342264263

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239103
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04563/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].