BENENDEN CHEST HOSPITAL LISTER WING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203809
Date first listed:
05-Jul-1993
Statutory Address:
BENENDEN CHEST HOSPITAL LISTER WING, JACKSON WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BENENDEN CHEST HOSPITAL LISTER WING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 15:55:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
BENENDEN CHEST HOSPITAL LISTER WING, JACKSON WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Benenden
National Grid Reference:
TQ 83352 35181

Details

BENENDEN TQ83NW JACKSON WAY 1350-0/1/61 Benenden Chest Hospital Lister Wing II Hospital wards. 1937 by Sir John Burnet, Tait and Lorne in International modern style extended 1953 by Oswald Pearce. Long 2 storey block built of yellowish brick with flat roof, facing south to catch maximum sunshine for tubercular patients. Each bay has large 4-light full height glazing with double French window on to balcony at 1st floor or verandah at ground floor. Rounded corners at ends and central square taller block. Rear elevation bay has less expansive glazing but port hole windows at the end and flight of steps to balcony. ("West Kent and the Weald: N. Pevsner B o E: P. 148).

Listing NGR: TQ8335235181

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170168
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 148

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10796/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].