EVENTIDE HOUSE (THE SALVATION ARMY) NETHERFIELD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203848
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
EVENTIDE HOUSE (THE SALVATION ARMY), ROYDON ROAD
Statutory Address:
NETHERFIELD HOUSE, ROYDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of EVENTIDE HOUSE (THE SALVATION ARMY)
NETHERFIELD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 16:47:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
EVENTIDE HOUSE (THE SALVATION ARMY), ROYDON ROAD
Statutory Address:
NETHERFIELD HOUSE, ROYDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanstead Abbots
National Grid Reference:
TL 39291 11435

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD (south side) Cat's Hill 5/54 Netherfield House Eventide House (The Salvation Army)

GV II

Large house now an eventide home. Circa 1860 for Sir Charles Booth (1806-96) 3rd and last baronet in the style of E M Barry. Grey brick and Bath Stone with slate roofs. 2-storeys Italianate large house with 3-storeys tower over entrance on N. Compact rectangular plan with large central stair and principal rooms looking over valley to S and E. Lower, 2-storeys and cellars, service wing on W in a plainer version of the same style. Grand Tuscan portico with entrance up steps between dies of 2 giant columns. Balustraded balcony over. Moulded stone string courses and large stone brackets at eaves. Round-headed large windows to ground floor, segmental arched windows above. Recessed casement windows. E front has 5-windows and a large single-storey canted bay window with balustraded top. Assymmetrical balanced S front similar with 2 + 2 windows. Arcaded matchinq brick screen wall on S, with stone arches, links to moulded stone plinth and stucco arcaded rear wall of former conservatory, with original outbuildings as lean-to behind.

Listing NGR: TL3929111435

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355966
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].