VALE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1203863
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
VALE HOUSE, WEST CLIFF ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VALE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203863 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 15:56:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
VALE HOUSE, WEST CLIFF ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Thanet (District Authority)
Parish:
Ramsgate
National Grid Reference:
TR 37884 64714

Details

RAMSGATE WEST CLIFF ROAD TR 3764 NE (north side) 12/439 Vale House GV II House, now school. 1840's. Rendered with slate roof. Three storeys and attic storey, the second floor set back behind a moulded cornice, with parapet to attic block, with 2 casement windows. Stacks to left and to right. Three round-headed sashes with Y-tracery on 2nd floor, 3 wooden casements with half-mullion and transom in moulded surrounds on first floor, and 2 sashes on ground floor in moulded surrounds with central half-glazed door with elliptical fanlight in pilaster surround at head of 3 steps. Right return: 5 bay front, with 4 sash on ground and first floors with scrolled shell pediment and 4 round headed sash on second floors, all floors with central blank panel. The attic storey moulded into a vast scrolled pediment with the word "Vale" raised on a central panel. The reference is to the Vale, for the history of which refer to item 12/389 . Vale House was probably built by the builder William Saxby as part of James Creed Eddell's development of The Vale, 1840-1850. (See Busson, Book of Ramsgate, 127-8).



Listing NGR: TR3788464714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172075
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Busson, C , Book of Ramsgate127-128

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14330/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Bushell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].