POULTON MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1203887
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
POULTON MANOR, POULTON LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203887.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2021 at 06:20:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
POULTON MANOR, POULTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dover (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodnesborough
National Grid Reference:
TR 28056 57774

Details

TR 25 NE WOODNESBOROUGH POULTON LANE

(West Side) 5/388 Poulton Manor

13.10.52 II*

House. 1629 and early C18. Timber framed central section and exposed with plaster infill and extended with red brick. Plain tiled roof. H-plan with timber framed range as central block. Entrance front. 2 storeys and attic on plinth with plat band and string cornice and parapet to roof with central segmental pediment and shaped gables to left and to right. 2 segmental dormers and stacks to left and to right. Three segmental headed wooden casements of 3 lights each side of 2 light central window on first floor, and 2 on ground floor with central half-glazed door in keyed surround on imposts in flat roofed porch. The other rear, red brick wing identical although without the central door; and a round window replacing the sundial occupying the gable on entrance front. Right return: the original entrance front to timber framed wing, with 3 storey and attic range, jettied with central gabled oriel supported by 3 carved brackets at first floor. Ovolo mullioned windows occupy whole of floor levels left and right of oriel, with rib and stud door to left. Interior: the central portion is dated on joist bracket 16 B 29 1 K and has fine moulded joists on carved brackets, with inglenook fireplaces. The wings, added by Colonel Christopher Kien c.1714, contain a stair of 5 flights in open well with winders and half- landings, and turned balusters on open string. Some panelling and fittings and doors with H and L hinges also survive. (See BOE, Kent 1983. 130).

Listing NGR: TR2805657774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
178420
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: North East and East Kent, (1983), 130

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].