CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1203949
Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203949 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 04:17:00.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SK 16493 37692
SK 13 NE; 5/17
PARISH OF CUBLEY, CHURCH LANE (east side)
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Mid C11, C12, C13, late C15 with C17 additions and alterations, restored 1872-4 by J P St Aubyn, also in 1909 when south porch was added. Ashlar, coursed squared and rubble sandstone with stone dressings. Plain tile roof, that to nave with bell canted eaves, and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers, plus eastern ridge crosses to nave and chancel. Western tower, nave of similar width with southern aisle and porch, and chancel.
Three-stage western, late C15 ashlar tower has deep plinth with moulded copings and full-height stepped angle buttresses to all corners. West elevation has elaborately moulded, pointed doorcase with hoodmould and carved spandrels with dagger-like cusped panels surrounding central coats of arms. Above, a moulded string course and a large, deeply recessed 3-light transomed Perp window with hoodmould. To north and south sides of tower at this level are friezes of the Montgomery coat of arms. Also to the south elevation are thin staircase windows. Above to west, is a C19 clock face and to north and south are deeply recessed quatrefoil windows. Above again is a continuous string course and the third stage with cusped Y-tracery, louvred bell openings with hoodmoulds to all sides, that to south displaced to east by staircase. Embattled parapets with ridgeback copings and corner crocketed pinnacles, over. North nave elevation has rubble stonework with herringbone patterns to base and coursed squared sandstone above. Two C17 large 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights flank a large stepped buttress. To east, chancel of coursed squared sandstone with crude plinth and two stepped buttresses with two thin chamfered C13 lancets between on north wall. East window is a squat 5-light intersecting tracery window with corner buttresses to either side. South chancel wall has three chamfered lancets, that to east C19, the others C13. Between western two is a C13 pointed doorcase with hoodmould. To west the south ave aisle has C17 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed east window and two similar windows to south with stepped buttresses to either end. Above is a moulded string course and low parapets with ridgeback copings. To west stands south porch with circular mouchette-traceried side windows and a cusped ogee headed doorcase. Inner doorcase is C13 with plain pointed arch, moulded imposts, chamfered jambs, and hoodmould.
INTERIOR has late C12 three-bay south arcade with double semicircular arches on plain columns with moulded capital to east and simple volute capital to west. Westernmost arch rests on moulded capital over carved corbel head and easternmost one on a polygonal respond. Above, three semicircular-headed, deeply splayed clerestory openings and circular windows, only the central one remaining unblocked. Plain band below to south side. C13 pointed, chamfered chancel arch on semi-circular responds with moulded capitals carved with crude heads. Tall C15 tower arch has double chamfered pointed arch and hoodmould on two thin attached shafts with ovolo moulding between and moulded capitals. C19 roofs, pulpit and bench pews. Carved wooden rood screen across chancel arch by S T Nash and an art nouveau ironwork screen of c1914 across tower arch, commemorating the dead of the First World War.
Several fine monuments, in the chancel is an alabaster tomb chest to Sir Nicholas Montgomery, who died 1494, with the figure of an armoured knight with his feet on a lion to the top, and angels. holding shields to the sides. Also, on the south wall of the chancel, is another alabaster tomb chest, set in a moulded four-centred arched niche with crocketed pinnacles to the sides. The effigy has been lost but the sides have finely carved weepers under double ogee arches with crocketed tops. This tomb has been ascribed to Harper and Moorecook of Burton, c1500. A similar niche, without a tomb,is placed against the south wall of the south aisle. Also in the south east corner of the chancel is a very worn stone slab carved with the figure of a woman, placed on the floor, probably late C15.
Fragments of medieval glass survived in most of the chancel windows, except for the east window which has stained glass, of 1874. Fragments of painted decoration also survive over the chancel arch and the east arch of the nave arcade. A C12 circular font stands in the nave aisle and there are two C19 commandment plaques on the nave north wall.
Listing NGR: SK1649137693
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 81247
Legacy System: LBS
War Memorials Register, accessed 25 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/55538
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing