FORMER CONVENT AT REAR OF PARKSIDE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1203961

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: FORMER CONVENT AT REAR OF PARKSIDE HOTEL, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CONVENT AT REAR OF PARKSIDE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1203961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 07:43:29.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CONVENT AT REAR OF PARKSIDE HOTEL, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 61100 71545

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST67SW BATH ROAD, Brislington 901-1/56/427 (South West side) 08/01/59 Former convent at rear of Parkside Hotel (Formerly Listed as: BATH ROAD (South side) Arno's Court Hotel)

GV II

Convent, now hotel. 1850-1. By Foster and Sons. Built as an extension to Arno's Court. For the Sisterhood of the Asylum of the Good Shepherd. Pennant rubble with Bath stone dressings, slate roof. Italianate style north-facing block with cloister and chapel backing onto rear of Parkside Hotel (qv). 3 storeys and attic; 3-window range in the north elevation and 2-window range in the east, between clasping pilasters. Keyed, segmental heads and wide, flat surrounds, string courses extending from the cills and above the heads; heavy coved cornice under the attic storey, and tall chimneys with bracketed cornices. The entrance to the cloister to the left and back from the main front; originally 2 storeys. It has ashlar and rubble stripes and a wide round arch on moulded springers and banded jambs with a wooden door, and a tall screen wall to left beside the Bath Road; inside is a cloister, open on 2 sides. The exterior of the chapel has 3 tall pointed windows and an attached column with carved capital and plinth on the right hand corner. INTERIOR: chapel, now snooker room, has 3 marble columns at east end with Corinthian capitals and round arches; the ceiling is divided into large panels by moulded beams, which curve down to bear on corbels at the sides. A later addition in plainer style to the west extends along the side, and has a front to the W of Parkside Hotel (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 166).

Listing NGR: ST6110071545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378920

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 166

End of official listing