JOLLY FISHERMAN PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204003
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1983
Statutory Address:
JOLLY FISHERMAN PUBLIC HOUSE, 8, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of JOLLY FISHERMAN PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204003 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 04:35:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
JOLLY FISHERMAN PUBLIC HOUSE, 8, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Stanstead St. Margarets
National Grid Reference:
TL 38218 11799

Details

TL 3811 STANSTEAD STATION ROAD ST MARGARETS (south side) St Margarets village 13/32 No 8 (Jolly Fisherman PH)

GV II

Public house. C18 or earlier, extended and given present appearance c1843 when name changed from George and Dragon to Railway Tavern. Present name in 1948. From 1636 to 1918 the site formed part of the Baesh Charity and in 1736 a row of cottages is said to have been replaced by the present public house (Herts Mercury 8.7.1977, 52: Heath (1980) 82). A long L- shaped 2-storeys building with main range facing N. Stucco, probably on a timberframe, with a steep old red tile roof, 5-bay structure with cross-beams, but axial beam in wider E bay. Internal gable chimneys and small central chimney. Symmetrical 5-window front with central door in thickened stuccoed panel, and 1-storey canted bay windows at each end. Sash windows. Shallow 2-storeys mid C19 rear lean-to with grey brick walls dentilled eaves, slate roof and 2-light cast iron casements. In similar materials a lower 2-storeys gabled rear wing at SE with slate 1- storey lean-to at S.

Listing NGR: TL3821811799

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Hertfordshire Mercury' in 8 July, (1977), 52
'Hertfordshire Mercury' in 8 July, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01295/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].