BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204008
Date first listed:
22-Feb-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 23:03:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACKSMITHS COTTAGE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Babergh (District Authority)
Parish:
Wherstead
National Grid Reference:
TM 15448 40659

Details

TM 1540 WHERSTEAD THE STREET (south side) 5/25 Blacksmiths Cottage (formerly listed as 22-2-55 The Old Forge) GV II House, now two dwellings. Probable C15 - early C16 range with probable C16 cross wing and later alterations and additions. Timber-framed, pebbledashed in panels, with brick extension to cross wing. Plain tile roofs. L-shaped; single-storey and attic range with 2-storey cross wing to left with later extension to rear. Single- storey range may be a former open hall. 2 cells with board door to left. 3 small- paned casements to ground floor and 2 gabled dormers with similar windows and barge- boards. Steeply-pitched swept roof and large, off-centre stack. Cross wing: jettied to front. Single small-paned casement to each floor. Bargeboards to gable. To left return an external stack, the upper part rebuilt in C20 brick. Entrance by C20 porch to extension. Interior (not fully inspected): earlier range has a beamed ceiling, framing mostly concealed. End wall at 1st floor level shows jowled posts and tie beam with arched braces and wall studding. Side purl in roof.



Listing NGR: TM1544840659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
277304
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11831/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].