Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204018.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 00:55:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 44638 16711


WOODSTOCK OXFORD STREET SP4416NE (East side) 10/180 No.14 (Hope House) 18/10/49 (Formerly listed as Hope House)


House, now house and 2 flats. c.1708, for Miles Parker, with extension of c.1720 to rear and c.1800 alterations. Limestone ashlar; flat lead roof with stone slate gables; ashlar end stacks set on stone-coped gables. Double-depth plan. 8aroque style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. Semi-circular arch over c.1800 doorway to left, with 6-panelled (2 glazed) door with decorative fanlight: cast-iron columns support stuccoed c.1800 bow window above door, which has tripartite sash window set in reeded architrave and with moulded cornice. Similar 2-storey bow window to right bay. Early C18 blind windows to centre, with heavy keyed and segmental-arched architraves. Raised storey band and pilaster strips; similar blind attic windows with keystones touching parapet band; blind panels to parapet. Three-bay right gable wall has similar blind windows, which are semi-circular arched on ground floor. Rear right wing of c.1720: front facing Hensington Road of 2-storey-and-attic, 2-window range: has brick end stack, and 6-pane sashes set in moulded stone architraves with ground-floor cornices; C18 hipped roof dormers with moulded cornices; late C19 outshut to left. Rear left range, housing stairs, altered in early C19 and has hipped roof. Interior: stone-flag floors to hall which has C18 two-panelled doors to left and early C19 doorway to right. To rear of hall is open-well staircase: early C19 with stick balusters to bottom, beneath early C18 staircase with heavy turned balusters and square newels; late C17 plank and stud partition to left of stairs; to rear of stairs is C17 plank door to stone winder stairs to cellar, which has C17 chamfered stone-mullioned window. Room to right of hall has early C18 beaded stone fireplace and early C19 cornice; early C18 panelled door to rear right room which has fine early C18 bolection panelling and marble fireplace; similar panelled room above. One of two houses in Woodstock, the other being The Bishop's House, Rectory Lane, (q.v.), which are early C18 and copy the Baroque architecture of Blenheim Palace (q.v.). Miles Parker, maltster, was a Woodstock Councillor by 1694 and mayor in 1711 and 1715. From 1707-11 he was Receiver General of Taxes in Oxon, and as such was deeply involved in the supply of cash to build Blenheim Palace. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p858; Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4463816711


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 858
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04050/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].