Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204060.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 13:01:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Babergh (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 19021 38583


TM 1938 WOOLVERSTONE WOOLVERSTONE PARK 7/42 Church of St Michael 22.2.55 - II* Church. C14. C15 tower, C16 porch. Extensive restoration of 1862 by Sir G G Scott. Additions and alterations of 1888 by St Aubyn and Wadling for Captain Hugh Berners. Tower of rubble flint and septaria with ashlar dressings and flushwork to buttresses, renewed flushwork battlements: Otherwise, knapped flint with ashlar dressings (exterior walls of original section refaced) except porch of orange brick in English bond with dark brick diapering. Plain tile roofs. Perpendicular style. West tower, south porch, original nave and chancel now form scuth aisle to nave and chancel of 1888 and vestry to north. 2-stage tower on plinth with diagonal off-set buttresses. 5-light west window with Perpendicular tracery with restored mullions. Upper stage off-set on string course. 2-light Tudor-arched belfry opening. Single-light window to south, stair turret to north. String course with fleurons, angle gargoyles, battlement with crocketed pinnacles. Porch: Rendered plinth, diagonal off-set buttresses, 2-light windows with Y-tracery under hoodmoulds to sides. Tudor-arched entrance under hoodmould. Panel above now blank. Moulded tie beam to gable on short corbelled posts with arch braces. Studding and bargeboards to gable. South aisle: 4-light C19 window. Former chancel: priests door and 2 C19 windows. C19 nave, chancel and vestry have 2 and 3-light Perpendicular style windows. Foundation stone set in buttresses on north side of chancel reads: 'Laid by Hugh Berners Captain RN to the Glory of God Feast of St Michael and All Angels 1888'. East end of chancel: Band of flushwork beneath 5-light Perpendicular style window. Interior: Porch has brattished wall plates, cambered moulded tie beams on short posts on carved leaf corbels with arch braces with ornamented spandrels. Moulded beams and chamfered joists. Pointed entrance with continuously-moulded jambs and restored headstops. Tall tower arch, original plank door to stair turret. C19 4-bay arcade on cylindrical piers. Crown-post roof to nave and aisle. Hammer beam roof to chancel. C15 octagonal font on base with supporting lions has panels with alternating lions and angels. C19 Gothic style cover. Piscina to south chapel. C19 fittings include pulpit, rood screen and canopied stone sedilia by Thomas Earp. Vestry contains wall monument with broken segmen- tal pediment with hatchment on Corinthian columns containing plaque with Latin inscription to Phillip Bacon of Shrubland d.1635. Bust to the Ven.Henry Denny Berners (1801-1834), by R Westmacott Jun.,1839.

Listing NGR: TM1901938579


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11832/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].