THE RECTORY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204092
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY HOUSE, RECTORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RECTORY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204092.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 14:54:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RECTORY HOUSE, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Cliffe and Cliffe Woods
National Grid Reference:
TQ 73338 74867

Details

CLIFFE-AT-HOO CP RECTORY ROAD TQ 77 SW 5/11 South side 21.11.66 The Rectory House II*

Hall-house, now house. Early C14, altered 1679 and rebuilt 1870 by Rev. H.R. Lloyd. flagstone with knapped flint in bands, restored in Bath stone, with some red brick in Flemish bond. Irregular plain tiled roofs. Open hall plan with service end to west (demolished), hall running west-east and upper end to east. 2 storeys with stacks to rear and on end of low projecting wing to right. Very irregular fenestration, a mixture of cross-windows and 2-, 3- and 4-light windows in surrounds with Caernarvon arches. Doorways with 2-centred arched to north and in angle between hall and projecting parlour wing to right in 2-storey red brick extension. Interior: 2 service doorways in west wall of hall with pointed arches, hollow chamfers and broach stops. Third door in south end wall possibly led to former stairs. Doorway at south- east corner of hall in south wall and smaller one in east wall. Window in north wall with stone seats. See Arch. Cant., vol. XI; Collectanea Historica: Essays in Memory of Stuart Rigold, 197 , K. Gravett, The Rectory House at Cliffe.



Listing NGR: TQ7333374942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172849
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Detsicas, A P , Collectanea Historica Essays in memory of Stuart Rigold, (1981), 187-191
'Archaeologia Cantiana' in Archaeologia Cantiana, (1877)
Detsicas, A P, 'Collectanea Historica' in Collectanea Historica, (1981)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00773/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M.K Lofthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].