GROUP OF 5 GRAVESTONES, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES FROM SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204099
Date first listed:
26-Apr-1989
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 5 GRAVESTONES, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES FROM SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 5 GRAVESTONES, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES FROM SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 03:51:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 5 GRAVESTONES, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES FROM SOUTH TRANSEPT OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shottesbrooke
National Grid Reference:
SU 84167 77111

Details

SHOTTESBROOKE SHOTTESBROOKE PARK SU 87 NW 8/35 Group of 5 gravestones, approx 5 metres from south transept of Church of St John the Baptist

G.V. II

5 gravestones. Headstones and footstones of 3 graves. C18. The first headstone, nearest the church is small, has a shaped top with a skull and crossbones carved at the head and is a memorial to Frances Newman, d.1722. The second headstone has a semi-circular top with a carved head comprising a skull flanked by a scythe and hourglass, surmounted by swags and is a memorial to Elizabeth Tooly, d. 1715 aged 99, and Thomas Newman d. 1713. It has a footstone with the letters E.T. T.N. 1714 inscribed. The third headstone has a scrolled and shaped top with a carved but eroded head. It is a memorial to John Southey and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1762. It has a footstone with the letters J.S. inscribed. E.S.

Listing NGR: SU8416777111

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
41122
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04170/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Dumbleton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].