BAILEYS COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204125
Date first listed:
10-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
BAILEYS COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAILEYS COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 04:42:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
BAILEYS COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Colaton Raleigh
National Grid Reference:
SY 07859 87458

Details

COLATON RALEIGH CHURCH ROAD, Colaton Raleigh ST 08 NE 3/44 Nos. 1 and 2 Baileys Cottages - GV II Pair of cottages. Probably C17 origins, thoroughly refurbished in 1893 according to the date plaque. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, rebuilt with brick; stone rubble or brick stacks topped with late C19 Rolle Estate chimney pots. Pair of 2-room plan cottages facing onto the road to the south-west. No.1 is on the right (south-eastern) end and No.2 to left. The outer rooms have end stacks, the left one shared with Rose Cottage (q.v.) and the right one of exposed brick and projecting a little. There is an axial stack in the party wall between the cottages serving back-to-back fireplaces. Both are 2 storeys. Each cottage has a symmetrical 2-window front of C20 replacement casements with glazing bars arranged about a central C20 plank door. There is a limestone plaque set high in the wall between the cottages. It is inscribed and bears the date 1893 with Mark Rolle's initials. Interiors have plain carpentry and joinery detail. Roofs not inspected. Baileys Cottages forms a group with No.1 Drupes Cottages and Rose Cottage (q.v.) and the barn adjoining(q.v.).

Listing NGR: SY0785987458

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
86243
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].