THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204161
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1984
Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 01:11:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE AND DRAGON PUBLIC HOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
Parish:
Ightham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 59534 56716

Details

TQ 5956 IGHTHAM THE STREET 5/15 (north side)

1.8.52 The George and Dragon Public House (formerly listed under Main Road) GV II

Public House. Originally C16 throughout, stable block to right rebuilt 1880 after fire. Range to left. Possibly originally a hall-house, now much rebuilt. Underbuilt in painted brick on ground floor with moulded bressumer above. Close-studded timber-framing with plaster infilling on first floor. Plain tiled roof with off-centre brick stack. Two storeys, irregular. Three window front, C19 casements, those on first floor close up under the eaves. Entrance with C19 boarded door to left of right-hand ground floor window. Interior. Some chamfered ceiling joists on ground floor. Fireplace with spandrels carved with arms of Earl of Stafford and the see of Canterbury. Range to right. Rebuilt after 1880 fire. Painted brick with painted imitation timber-framing on first floor. Plain tiled roof, hipped to south, with one ridge stack off-centre to left end one right end stack. Two storeys; 3 window first floor, one window to left on ground floor, large wooden casements. Two entrances with boarded doors, centre and left.

Listing NGR: TQ5950256666

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357281
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05942/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Winch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].