Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204163

Date first listed: 25-Sep-1951

Statutory Address: 36 AND 37, CHURCH STREET


Ordnance survey map of 36 AND 37, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204163 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 20:28:39.


Statutory Address: 36 AND 37, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Harwich

National Grid Reference: TM 25922 32712


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TM2532NE CHURCH STREET 609-1/1/19 (South West side) 25/09/51 Nos.36 AND 37


Two unequal sized houses. C16 origins with C17 extensions and mid C18 remodelling. Timber-framed with red Flemish-bond brick front and clay plain tile gabled roof. Range to rear with 3 parallel roofs at right-angles to frontage and 3 jettied gables to rear. 2 storeys and attics. EXTERIOR: front is symmetrical with plain parapet, modillioned cornice of moulded brick, projecting string band between storeys and tarred plinth with moulded coping. Central part breaks forward with, on each floor, a flush double-hung sash window with small panes under flat rubbed brick arches with projecting keystones. Upper floor of each recessed part has a narrower double-hung sash and blind window opening. Ground floor of flanks each have similar window and raised-and-fielded 6-panel door with moulded architraves and pulvinated frieze (cornice hood of No.37 missing). Substantial off-centre ridgeline stack and tall stack at southern end of parapet. Front probably by same builder as Nos 34 & 35 (qv). Complex consists of C16 or earlier front range, doubled in depth in early C17. In mid C18 subdivided to form two unequal houses. Front range of No.36 has chamfered spine beam and one exposed part, at first floor with jowled top. No.37 has substantial bridging joist across front range. The now subdivided rear C17 range is a high quality frame with quadrant moulded chamfers and lamb's tongue stops on all horizontal members. The gables are jettied to rear at eaves level on inward facing jowled posts. INTERIOR: upper floor formerly one large chamber with central stack which, rebuilt, appears above ridge of central gable. No.36 now has mid C18 character with cupboards and L-shaped doors and 2 corner cupboards with serpentine shelves. That on ground floor has radiating strips on soffit. First-floor cupboard has bolection surround and fitted doors. No.37 has similar mid C18 character with panelled partitions flanking entrance passage and panelled room with cornice in C17 part. An area of C17 panelling included panelled door with cockspur hinges. Overdoor ventilator in passage had panel of asymmetrical diagonal bars (Chinese Chippendale). Both parts have tight winder stairs. Rear of No.36 is 2-storey late C17 extension with gabled clay plain tile roof with stack at SW end. The NW elevation of this is of mid C18 red Flemish-bond brickwork with modillioned cornice. First floor has double-hung sash window with small panes. Similar but smaller extension on rear of No.37, in weatherboarding with hipped peg-tile roof and end stack. (RCHME: Essex: London: 1922-: 135 (6)).

Listing NGR: TM2592232712


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366486

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 135

End of official listing