OLD FORGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204195
Date first listed:
01-Aug-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1984
Statutory Address:
OLD FORGE HOUSE, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD FORGE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204195 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:31:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD FORGE HOUSE, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tonbridge and Malling (District Authority)
Parish:
Ightham
National Grid Reference:
TQ 59552 56739

Details

TQ 5956 IGHTHAM THE STREET 5/12 (south-east side)

1.8.52 Old Forge House (formerly listed under Main Road) GV II*

Remains of C16 hall-house dated 1555 to left, C19 additions to right. Red brick and random stone exposed vertical timber-framing with plaster infilling above. First floor jetty supported on exposed joists and brackets, continuous, though at lower level to right. Small C19 addition to right, coursed rubble stone with red brick dressings on ground floor, rendered first floor; return gable to front. Two storeys; 4 window front, very irregular, all C19 casement windows. Two boarded doors to right of centre, one to left. Projecting weatherboarded wing to rear. The house is one of the earliest continuous jetty houses in Kent, in 1555 Thomas Skynner was fired for building encroaching the highway.

Listing NGR: TQ5955256739

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
357283
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05942/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Winch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].