CHURCH OF ST JUDE THE APOSTLE WITH ST MATTHIAS ON THE WEIR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204207

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JUDE THE APOSTLE WITH ST MATTHIAS ON THE WEIR, BRAGG'S LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JUDE THE APOSTLE WITH ST MATTHIAS ON THE WEIR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 04:14:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JUDE THE APOSTLE WITH ST MATTHIAS ON THE WEIR, BRAGG'S LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 59805 73321

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973SE BRAGG'S LANE, Old Market 901-1/12/1626 (North side) 04/03/77 Church of St Jude the Apostle with St Matthias-on-the-Weir (Formerly Listed as: LAMB STREET Church of St Jude the Apostle with St Matthias-on-the-Weir)

II

Church. 1849. By SB Gabriel. Squared Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a tiled roof. Chancel and SE chapel, aisled nave and SW tower. Decorated Gothic Revival style. 2-bay chancel with a late C19 south vestry with a square-headed window of 2 ogee-headed lights and a door with strap hinges, and an early C20 SE Chapel with reticulated tracery in the S window and a wide door with label stops of stylised heads. 4-bay N aisle of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery separated by short buttresses. Similar S aisle has a corbel table with gableted kneelers, carved with heads, to the gable coping; W doorway has one order of shafts with moulded capitals and head stops. 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses and a square-sided SE stair tower to the second stage; deep, splayed W doorway of 3 orders with foliate stops, and a door with elaborate hinges; above is a 3-light window, and a 2-light belfry window has open reticulated tracery to the upper part and a panel of pierced roundels below; at the top is a corbel table with corner gargoyles, tall crocketed pinnacles and an open parapet of quatrefoils and cusped waves. INTERIOR not inspected; used as a store at time of survey.

Listing NGR: ST5980573321

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 378975

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing