THE RED HOUSE INCLUDING ENTRANCE GATEWAY, RAILINGS AND SIDE BRICK WALLS TO FORECOURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204275
Date first listed:
13-Apr-1951
Statutory Address:
THE RED HOUSE INCLUDING ENTRANCE GATEWAY, RAILINGS AND SIDE BRICK WALLS TO FORECOURT, 50, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RED HOUSE INCLUDING ENTRANCE GATEWAY, RAILINGS AND SIDE BRICK WALLS TO FORECOURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204275 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 18:24:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RED HOUSE INCLUDING ENTRANCE GATEWAY, RAILINGS AND SIDE BRICK WALLS TO FORECOURT, 50, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
Sevenoaks
National Grid Reference:
TQ 53128 54518

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1614 (East Side) ----------- No 50 (The Red House) (Including entrance gateway railings and side brick walls to forecourt) TQ 5354/1/14 13.4.51 II* 2. Circa 1700. Symmetrical 1.7.1. facade of 2 storeys. Supporting wings either side recessed. Red brick elevation with flat arches of rubbed red headers over windows. Brick plinth. Moulded stone band above ground floor windows. Heavy projecting moulded modillioned cornice with concealed leaded gutter. Cornice with egg-and-dart moulding and carved and enriched console brackets. Modillioned cornice returned at side of centre feature. Steep, hipped tile roof with 3 flat-roofed leaded dormers containing square-paned casements. Tall end brick stacks with connecting tiled stack ridges. Supporting wings on either side with moulded plain modillioned eaves and gutter and hipped, tiled roof. Moulded stone band above ground floor windows and modillioned eaves at lower level than in centre. Centre C18 panelled door (up 2 steps) with rectangular fanlight over with leaded tracery. Panelled reveals and soffit to doorway. Slender fluted Doric columns on either side of door supporting entablature with flat modillioned cornice. Sash windows with bars intact in moulded exposed frames with ornamental sunblind cases. Small brick moulded dressings around all window openings. Slit sash windows on both floors at either end of centre feature. Windows of centre feature closely spaced. Square, sash windows in painted wooden reveals on first floor of supporting wings. Small quarter basement light to left of centre door with flat segmental brick arch over. Ornamental C18 cast iron railings, on brick plinth bordering the High Street with ornamental carriage entrance gates to right and left. Railings and gates terminated at either end by brick piers surmounted by stone coping and canon balls. Small gravel yard in front of building with returned C18 brick side walls to right with modern flat lintel arched opening.

Listing NGR: TQ5312854518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172190
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00459/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard K. Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].