NUMBER 35 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204345

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: NUMBER 35 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 35, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 35 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204345 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:23:51.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 35 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 35, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 58772 73154

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre 901-1/11/525 (North West side) 08/01/59 No.35 and attached railings (Formerly Listed as: BROAD STREET (North side) No.35)

GV II

Attached house, now office. Possibly late C17, hopper dated 1711, C18 fenestration, early C19 shop front. Possibly timber-framed, render, roof not visible. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys and basement; 3-window range. Jettied first floor, a moulded timber string to the second floor, and timber modillion eaves cornice. Curtailed Pennant steps up to a right-hand doorway with a wide, low 4-panel door and 10-pane overlight. Fine shop front has strips with Greek key between three 20-pane windows, a cornice, and segmental-arched central basement entrance with double doors. Flush, moulded surrounds to 6/6-pane sashes, small on the second floor beneath the eaves. To the right is a good cast lead hopper with a winged cupid, the letters GGI/SI, dated 1711. INTERIOR: largely rebuilt internally mid C20; an ovolo-moulded beam with chamfer stop extends across the front ground-floor and above the recessed doorway. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron barleysugar railings with brass rail to steps. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 58; Winstone R: Bristol As It Was: Bristol: 1956-: PL 16).

Listing NGR: ST5877273154

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379007

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 58
Winstone, R, Bristol As It Was 1911 to 1916

End of official listing