ARCHWAY BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204360
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY BRIDGE, ARCHWAY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARCHWAY BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jun-2019 at 00:41:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARCHWAY BRIDGE, ARCHWAY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Haringey (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ2911987390

Details



TQ2987SW ARCHWAY ROAD 635-1/6/40 Archway Bridge 29/09/72 (Formerly Listed as: ARCHWAY ROAD Highgate Archway (that part in the London Borough of Islington))

II

Bridge carrying Hornsey Lane over Archway Road, and designed to replace a bridge of brick and stone construction designed in 1813 by John Nash. Dated 1897 in panel at crown of arch, and completed 1900. By Sir Alexander Binnie, for London County Council. Portland stone, steel and iron. Portland stone piers to either side with splayed bases having vermiculated quoins, the body of the piers rusticated and vermiculated. Segmental-arched span of 120 feet, of steel and cast-iron construction with ropemouldings to archivolt and circular ornament and arabesques in the spandrels; modillion cornice. Balustrade of Portland stone piers to either end, carrying cast iron lamp standards of the type designed by Lewis Vulliamy for the Thames Embankment in the 1860s, with the initials of the LCC on the south-eastern and north-western lamps, and the date 1897 on the other pair; smaller central piers, now painted, with lamp standards flanked by griffins; intermediate piers surmounted by ball and spike finials with spiked rail between; the cast-iron panels between with wheel motifs and scrolling ornament. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ2911987390

The asset was previously listed twice also in the London Borough of Haringey. This entry was removed from the List on 25 July 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
368527
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].