CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204368
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THURVASTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204368 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 20:22:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THURVASTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Marston Montgomery
National Grid Reference:
SK 13494 37888

Details

SK 13 NW PARISH OF MARSTON MONTGOMERY THURVASTON ROAD 4/58 (East Side) 13.9.67 Church of St Giles GV II*

Parish church. C12 with C13 and C18 alterations, restored and extended 1875-6 by H St Aubyn. Coursed squared and rubble sandstone with slate chancel roof and plain tile nave roof, with stone coped eastern gables, topped by ridge crosses, and bellcote over west end of nave. Nave, north aisle and vestry, south porch and lower chancel. West elevation, mainly C12 with blocked central doorcase, now with limestone slab to base, inscribed 'Here lyeth the body of John son of Walter Copestake and Susanna his wife, who departed this life the 21st day of July.Anno Domd 1687 his age 11'. To either side stepped buttresses and to north c1875 aisle with chamfered lancet. Above the doorcase is a C12 semi-circular headed single light window, and above again, a clockface dated 1870. Corbelled out above is the square, tile hung bellcote with four pointed timber louvred openings to top,on all sides, capped by a pyramidal slate roof. North elevation has a long catslide roof over the aisle, which has three chamfered lancets to north and similar window to east end. Similar lancet beyond to east,in the chancel with a C12 single light window beyond. Gabled C19 vestry to east with Y-tracery pointed window to north with hoodmould and Caernarvon headed door to east. Much restored C13 3-light intersecting tracery east window with hoodmould. South chancel elevation has two chamfered lancets, that to east early C13, with large stepped buttresses to east and between. To west is a blocked C12 semi-circular headed door- case with raised impost blocks and hood. The nave has a large stepped buttress to east with two inscribed stones, one reading 'CARTER CW 1698' and the other 'CHAMBERLAIN CW, W BECK 1877', To west is a C13 3-light intersecting tracery window in recessed surround, and beyond to west is the south porch with chamfered pointed doorcase. C19 lancet and stepped buttress beyond to west. C12 inner south door with incised cross in tympanum. Interior has three bay Cl3 north arcade with double chamfered pointed arches, simple moulded capitals and circular columns, responds to either end cut away to form corbels. Stepped semi-circular C12 chancel arch on C19 jambs and to north of chancel a C19 pointed arch through to organ bay. Beyond to east, a cavetto moulded C19 pointed vestry door with hoodmould. C19 scissor truss roof to chancel and fine crown post roof to nave with clock platform to west end. C19 pews, choir stalls, pulpit and carved wooden altar rails. C12 circular stone font. Various C19 and C20 wall memorials in brass or encaustic tiles. C19 east window,and similar chancel windows of St Chad and St Giles, Early C20 stained glass by A Moore to south side of nave and a series of early C20 stained glass windows depicting the evangelists to north aisle.

Listing NGR: SK1349437888

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81288
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08064/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Edward Rokita. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].