THE MORAVIAN CHAPEL/CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204382

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: THE MORAVIAN CHAPEL/CHURCH, THE SETTLEMENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MORAVIAN CHAPEL/CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:34:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MORAVIAN CHAPEL/CHURCH, THE SETTLEMENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash (District Authority)

Parish: Ockbrook and Borrowash

National Grid Reference: SK 42138 36176

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF OCKBROOK THE SETTLEMENT SK 42 36 6/76 (North Side) The Moravian 10.11.67 Chapel/Church GV II*

Moravian chapel. 1751 with minor C19 alterations, mostly to the interior. Built as the centrepiece of the Moravian Settlement. Red brick with gauged brick and painted ashlar dressings, painted stone plinth and plain band over the windows and also moulded stone cornice. Slate roof with stone copings, two strange circular, vents to ridge and central pediment with a painted wooden square cupola over. This cupola has semi- circular headed arches to each side, balustraded to base, and colonnettes to each corner, supporting an ogival leaded roof with ball finial and weather-vane to top. Five bays and single storey with internal gallery. Main elevation has three large semi-circular headed windows with stone imposts and keystones and margin light glazing bar sashes. To either side is a wide semi-circular headed doorcase, again with stone imposts and keystone, with double panelled doors and divided fanlight. Above each door is a glazing bar sash under segment head with stone keystone. Above in the centre of the pediment, which runs the width of the three bays, is a black clockface erected in 1827. Interior is plain with a raised and fielded panelled gallery on fluted iron columns to north and ceiling rose and cornice. The internal arrangements were changed in the C19 and the original C18 pulpit with its panelled and pedimented back panel was re-set on the south wall, also C19 pews were inserted.

Listing NGR: SK4213836176

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 82260

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing