THE SHAKESPEARE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1204394
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
THE SHAKESPEARE HOTEL, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SHAKESPEARE HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204394 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 07:42:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SHAKESPEARE HOTEL, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20149 54793

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET 604-1/10/39 (South East side) 25/10/51 The Shakespeare Hotel

GV II*

Three buildings now forming hotel. Part to left (Four Gables) is C16 with later alterations and front rebuilt 1920; part to right (Five Gables) is early C16; building to right end (No.19) is c1720 with C20 alterations. Timber-frame with plaster infill on rubble plinth; tile roof with brick stacks; No.19 of brick with buff headers on rubble plinth, roof has slate to front, tile to rear. 2 storeys with attic; 4+5+2-window ranges. Ovolo-mullioned windows with leaded glazing. Four Gables has left half recessed under jettied attic with 2 gables and two 2-storey canted bay windows of 1:4:1 mullioned and transomed windows, similar 3-light attic windows; Tudor-headed entrance to right of centre has pentice and inset C20 doors; canted bay window to right end has hipped roof; 3-light transomed window over entrance and 4-light gabled dormers; rubble lateral stack with brick diagonal shafts and end stack. Storey-height posts with middle rails; 1920 foundation stone to left of entrance. Five Gables has jettied 1st floor and attic, 5 gables; entrance to left of centre has wide-boarded studded door; 2-light window to left end and 1:3:1-light transomed canted bay window to left of entrance; three 4-light transomed bay windows to right; 1st floor has 3-light transomed windows and smaller 2- and 3-light windows under upper jetty forming continuous glazing; 3-light windows to attic. Close studding. No.19 of 3 storeys; C20 entrance and windows: entrance with paired doors under canted oriel with hipped roof to right of 6-light window to ground floor and 4-light 1st-floor window; 2nd floor has 4-light windows. Rear has gabled wings and varied C19 and C20 additions; one cross-axial stack has diagonal shafts. INTERIOR: exposed chamfered beams and timber-framing; ground floor has had some interior walls removed; some altered fireplaces. Total frontage of approx 40m. Four Gables was the Shakespeare Inn from 1788 and Five Gables became part of the Shakespeare Hotel in the 1880s; No.19 was incorporated in the C20. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 20; History of the Streets of Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street: 1971-1974).

Listing NGR: SP2014954793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366183
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 20
Bearman, R et al, History of the Streets of Stratford upon Avon, (1971-1974)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2005
Reference: IOE01/13920/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].