This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1204410

Location

PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY, WIGAN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Euxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Feb-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357645

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 51 NE EUXTON WIGAN ROAD

Presbytery to Roman Catholic 5/128 Church of St. Mary - GV II

Presbytery, 1864-5, with clock tower 1877, by Pugin and Pugin. Rock faced red sandstone (rear and west walls of brick), steeply pitched slate roof with various chimneys. Double pile plan of 2) storeys and basement; front of 2 gabled bays and a 3-stage buttressed clocktower which incorporates doorway with shouldered head at east side. Left gable has 2-storey canted bay, right gable has one tall window each floor (glazing altered). Clock tower has diagonal buttresses, narrow cusped window at ground floor and one on each side above, tall cusped and louvred belfry openings at 2nd floor, a bracketed eaves cornice, a slated spire with swept eaves, and a clock face on the eaves of the east side. A plaque inside the entrance slates that the clock and tower were given by William Ince Anderton in 1877 as a benefaction to the township of Euxton upon the coming of age of his eldest son on 22 December 1876.

Listing NGR: SD5536419110

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 55364 19110

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:04:28.

End of official listing