THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204432
Date first listed:
27-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
THE OLD VICARAGE, 1 AND 2, BROADHEMBURY CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204432 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 00:36:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD VICARAGE, 1 AND 2, BROADHEMBURY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
East Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Broadhembury
National Grid Reference:
ST 10289 04792

Details

BROADHEMBURY BROADHEMBURY CROSS, Broadhembury SY 10 SW

5/64 Nos. 1 and 2 the Old Vicarage

GV II

Former vicarage, divided into 2 houses. A remodelling of 1807 (datestone) with traces of an earlier building at the rear. Whitewashed and rendered with a hipped slate roof with deep eaves carried on paired eaves brackets; stacks with rendered shafts. Plan: Double depth plan, 2 rooms wide with a central entrance into a stair hall, rear service rooms. Changes in floor level and irregularities to the rear of the building suggest a pre C19 house, presumably thoroughly remodelled in 1807. Exterior: 2 storeys. Almost symmetrical 5 window front with some minor variations to the windows. Central entrance with an early C19 recessed panelled door with fanlight, panelled reveals and a rounded outer arch. Datestone of 1807 with the initials E.D. above the front door. Complete set of early C19 small pane timber sash windows, those to the right with margin panes. The right return (No. 2) has a recessed front door with an overlight, flanked by small-pane timber windows. The rear and side elevations have a mixture of timber sashes and casements, mostly C19. Interior: No. 1 inspected. Early C19 joinery survives including shutters, panelled doors, cornices, 2 marble chimney-pieces and a good stair with stick balusters in the first flight and a ramped handrail, 2 first floor flights have turned balusters. The stair is lit by a lantern.

Listing NGR: ST1030704802

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
87066
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].