THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204445

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, DERBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204445 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 19:40:49.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, DERBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Erewash (District Authority)

Parish: Risley

National Grid Reference: SK 46168 35714

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PARISH OF RISLEY DERBY ROAD SK 46 NE 2/95 (North Side) The Old School 2.9.52 House GV II*

School house, now house. c1720 with later C18 alterations. Endowed by Elizabeth Grey of Risley Hall in her will of 1720. Red brick in flemish bond with yellow brick headers and gauged brick dressings. Steeply pitched plain tile roof with moulded stone copings on plain brick kneelers and large gable brick stacks. Double plain first and second floor bands with vitrified headers and a stepped and dentilled brick cornice. Two storeys plus garrets and five bays. T-plan. Central raised doorcase with wide plain surround, chamfered to inner edge and double raised and fielded panelled doors. Above a shell canopy, on straight brackets, which cuts through the first floor band. To either side are single, late C18 glazing bar sashes under flat arches, set in disturbed brickwork. Above there are five 2-light timber cross windows with leaded casements, again under flat arches. Similar windows to gable walls and rear wing. Interior has the original dogleg column on vase baluster staircase with moulded handrail through two floors. It also has all the original raised and fielded six panelled doors, central ovolo moulded beams to each room, a richly moulded original fireplace in the upper east room and original cornicing in the lower east room. This house was built as part of the Latin school complex and it appears on a map of 1722 which is housed at Derbyshire County Record Office, although the Derbyshire Victoria County History states that it was built in 1771. It is possible that this is the date of the alterations.

Listing NGR: SK4616835714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 82281

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Derby, (1905)

End of official listing