CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204451

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1972

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:24:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Grid Reference: SP 18481 54994

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1854 CHURCH LANE, Shottery 604-1/5/302 (East side) 09/02/72 Church of St Andrew

GV II

Church. 1870. By Joseph Lattimore (or Lattimer). Brick with some blue brick diapering and ashlar dressings; slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel with apse; vestry projects east from north transept; south porch. C13 style details. Blue-brick-coped plinth and cornices; coped gables with kneelers. EXTERIOR: apse has canted end with corbelled gablet over 2-light plate tracery window with banded arch and sexfoil, and flanking windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights; some diapering and flush sill band. 4-bay nave has offset buttresses flanking windows of 3 single-chamfered trefoil-headed lights. Bellcote to east end has splayed base to diagonally-set open stage with slate fleche and large finial; roof has triangular louvred dormers. North side has gabled organ loft with shouldered lintel to entrance and additional bay to end, with plate tracery window, linked to vestry, which has north window as nave and straight-headed window to south. South side of nave has basement area and date stone to right of gabled porch with 2 small ?altered lights and left return entrance with shaped lintel and plank door. West end has 4-light plate tracery window with banded Florentine arch; iron finial. INTERIOR: simple hammer-beam roof with king posts; Florentine chancel arch on corbelled black shafts with rich carving; small window to north of apse has sill between carved stops and gable with angel corbels, crockets and fleuron, adjacent arch to organ loft. FITTINGS: timber reredos and brass altar rail on scrolly supports, similar fronts to choir stalls enclosed by low screens with pierced quatrefoils, and cusped arches to doors; timber pulpit has canted front with Moorish style lattice work panels and vine-trail cornice; 1872 font has plain bowl on hexagonal base with 3 twined fish forming shaft. STAINED GLASS: some C19 glass to apse, including head of Christ, and figure of St Cecilia to north of apse; one C20 window to north side of nave. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 397).

Listing NGR: SP1848154994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366189

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 397

End of official listing