BLAKESWARE MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204457

Date first listed: 18-May-1976

Statutory Address: BLAKESWARE MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLAKESWARE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:50:08.

Location

Statutory Address: BLAKESWARE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wareside

National Grid Reference: TL 40540 16290

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 41NW WARE RURAL BLAKESWARE Wareside 3/3 Blakesware Manor (Formerly listed under Wareside) 18.5.76

GV II

Country house, now 5 houses. 1876-9 ('1878' on garden front) by George Devey for Mrs Hadsley Gosselin. R C chapel for Sir Martin Gosselin opened 1896, house reduced and altered 1937 after fire bv Paul Phipps, range linking chapel to house rebuilt as monastic building 1968, house subdivided with separate porches in early Renaissance style in 1980's. Red brick with blue diaper work and stone dressings. Steep red tile roofs. A tall 3-and 4-storeys scholarly neo-Tudor house, now L-shaped with the entrance court within the angle. The garden front (E) of 3-storeys has mullioned and transomed bay windows, Tudor arched doorways, and central tower with open lantern. Chapel in matchinq style with steep tiled roof and panelled E end. The country house of 1876-9 replaced a brick house of 1664 built for Sir Thomas Leventhorpe of Sawbridgeworth which Charles Lamb described under the name of Blakesmoor (demolished in 1822). (VCH (1912) 389: Pevsner (1977) 406: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL4066316488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 356043

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 389
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 406

End of official listing