COACH HOUSE AND STABLES APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF ELSHAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204625
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
COACH HOUSE AND STABLES APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF ELSHAM HALL, B 1206

Map

Ordnance survey map of COACH HOUSE AND STABLES APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF ELSHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 16:57:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
COACH HOUSE AND STABLES APPROXIMATELY 150 METRES SOUTH OF ELSHAM HALL, B 1206

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Elsham
National Grid Reference:
TA 03099 11847

Details

ELSHAM B 1206 TA 01 SW (east side, off) 5/15 Coach-house and stables 6/11/67 (Stables only) approximately 150 metres south of Elsham Hall GV II Stables and flanking wing walls. Mid C19 for T G Corbett. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone ashlar dressings. Pantile roof. Wooden lantern with lead roof. Rectangular on plan, forms north-east range of farmyard. 2 storeys, 9 bays: 1:3:1:3:1, with single-bay pavilions to centre and wings, linked by lower 2-storey recessed sections. Single-bay wing walls to each side. Plinth. Entrances to centre and wings have rubbed brick round arches with raised ashlar keystones and impost bands, recessed 2-leaf doors with fielded panels. Recessed bays each have 3 ground-floor openings with rubbed brick flat arches and raised ashlar keystones, C20 casements and iron bars. First floor: keyed oculi to centre and wings, containing clockface to centre and windows with radial glazing bars to wings; recessed bays have 4 small Gothick ogee-arched carved ashlar ventilators, with 2 larger similar ventilators above flanking an inserted square wooden hatch. Moulded ashlar cornice, pedimented gables to centre and wings. Central square-plan lantern astride roof with plinth, angle pilasters, Gothick ogee-arched ventilators to each face, plain entablature with moulded cornice, and pyramidal roof with tall ball finial and weathervane. Wing walls (that to right shortened in C20) with ashlar plinth and coping, ramped down to ends with ball finials. Left and right returns of stables: first-floor round-headed doorways flanked by segmental-headed casements with rubbed brick arches and ashlar keystones. Interior: entrance hall has round-arched door flanked by narrower round arches with 3 round-arched openings and moulded cornice above; 6-bay arcade screen to former stalls on each side, with tapered columns supporting round arches with keyed archivolts and moulded cornice above; keyed round-headed surrounds to windows. First-floor room to left wing, partly derelict at time of resurvey, has ornate plasterwork panelling, overmantel and fragmentary cornice; finely-constructed collar and tie-beam roof to side bays with king-post and angle struts. Ground floor used as shop and gallery; part of first floor used as house at time of resurvey.

Listing NGR: TA0309911847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165917
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10120/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].