CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204679

Date first listed: 06-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION, A 18

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204679 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:27:02.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION, A 18

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Melton Ross

National Grid Reference: TA 07147 10748

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MELTON ROSS A 18 HUMBERSIDE GLANFORD 5264 TA 01 SE (north side) 6/29 Church of the Holy 6/11/67 Ascension - II Parish church. 1867 by Ewan Christian, incorporating masonry from earlier medieval and C18 churches. Chancel decorated in 1890 by Messrs W 0 Powell of London and Lincoln; nave decorated in 1895. Limestone and ironstone ashlar. Westmorland slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 3-bay nave with south porch and west bell-cote, single-bay apsidal chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Nave: plinth, buttresses; 2-light and 3-light segmental pointed traceried windows; west side has single traceried lancets either side of a central buttress supporting a projecting bell-cote with twin shouldered-arch opening and pierced roundel above, coped gable and ashlar cross finial. Chancel: stepped plinth, sill stringcourse; single and twin trefoiled lancets with hood-moulds. Porch: angle buttresses, pointed shafted outer arch of 2 orders. Interior. Pointed moulded chancel arch on shafted responds with foliate capitals. Collared scissor-beam nave roof, ribbed vaulted chancel roof. Chancel arch, roofs and frieze at top of nave wall all have rich polychrome painted decoration. Late C18 and early C19 marble wall tablets to Holgate family at west end of nave. Ornate C19 font. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, p 315; Stamford Mercury, 9 January 1891, p3.

Listing NGR: TA0714710748

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 165932

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 315
'Stamford Mercury' in 9 January, (1891), 3

End of official listing