MAIN CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 18 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204736

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: MAIN CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 18 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 18 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:15:45.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN CHEST TOMB APPROXIMATELY 18 METRES SOUTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Otterton

National Grid Reference: SY 08018 85126

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OTTERTON CHURCH HILL, Otterton SY 0885 7/140 Main chest tomb approximately - 18 metres south of tower of Church of St Michael GV II Chest tomb. Dated 1770 in memory of John and Agnes Main. Limestone ashlar. Chest tomb with flat lid moulded around the edges and standing on a moulded plinth. Each of the long sides has 2 panels separated by a fluted flat pilaster and similar clasping pilasters on each corner. Both the northern panels are inscribed with Roman serif upper and lower case lettering. The left one records the deaths of John and Agnes Main in 1763 and 1770 respectively. The right-hand panel records the deaths of other members of the family in the late C18 and early C19.

Listing NGR: SY0801885126

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 86341

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing