BELL FARMHOUSE BELL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204753
Date first listed:
09-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
BELL FARMHOUSE, QUEEN STREET
Statutory Address:
BELL HOUSE, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELL FARMHOUSE
BELL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 16:13:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
BELL FARMHOUSE, QUEEN STREET
Statutory Address:
BELL HOUSE, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandhurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 79873 28447

Details

SANDHURST TQ7928 QUEEN STREET 1350-0/9/205 (North side) 09/06/52 Bell House and Bell Farmhouse GV II Sub-divided house at one time an Inn. Late Medieval open hall-house with inserted late C16 stack, refronted in brick in late C18 and refenestrated in C20. Timber-framed building, refaced in red brick with some grey headers. Stringcourse. Steeply pitched tiled roof with gablets and off central late C16 brick chimneystack and external stack to left hand side. 2 storeys and attics; 4 windows. 2 gabled dormers to front and 1 to left side elevation. Casement windows, the ground floor windows with cambered head linings. C20 door with strap-work motif. Plinth. Interior retains roll-moulded and embattled dais beam and parlour has late C16 roll-moulded ceiling and open fire-place with bread oven. Smoke blackened roof with octagonal crown post with 4 head braces to collar beam. Combed pargetting decoration.

Listing NGR: TQ7987328447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170310
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10471/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Henry Teed. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].